The Bill to Regulate/Secure Digital Space Adopted by the French Parliament
On October 17, 2023, 360 French deputies voted in favor and 77 against the regulation law of the digital space.
The main outlines of the bill
- Combatting misinformation, scams, and online harassment
- Protection of minors from pornography
- Digital sovereignty - reducing dependence on cloud services concentrated on Amazon, Microsoft, and Google
- Regulation of tourist rentals (Airbnb)
- Supervision of new types of digital gambling, based on Web 3.0
- Empowering state agencies to enforce European laws: DSA and DMA
Next step: the joint committee, consisting of 7 deputies and 7 senators, who must agree to create a common version. This is expected to take place in December. As a reminder, the French government initiated an accelerated procedure for this bill on May 10th.
[Photo: National Assembly - Explanation of Vote - 10/17/23]